Ride Along Program
Guidelines for Participants
- You must be 18 years of age or older to participate in the program with the exception of Explorers and Interns.
- You must provide your own transportation to and from Police Headquarters or where you are scheduled to leave from.
- You must have valid photo identification with you when you arrive for your ride-a-long.
- Tape recorders are not permitted. Photographs are only permitted with the prior approval of the Deputy Chief of Police.
- You are to promptly obey any requests made to you by your host officer.
- Certain calls are considered too dangerous for ride-a-long participants. If your host officer is required to respond to a call of this type, you will be dropped off at a safe, public location. If this occurs, you are to immediately call the dispatcher phone 301-600-2071 and follow his / her instructions. You will be picked up as soon as possible.
- Do not interfere in any way with the officer’s handling of a situation. If the officer needs your assistance, you will be asked for it. You may ask any questions concerning a call or incident after it has been completed and you and your host officer have left.
- It is possible that you may observe an event that may require your presence in court as a witness.
- You are encouraged to ask questions, but remember that your host officer cannot possibly know everything that may occur within the Town.
- The waiver of liability on the application must be executed prior to a participation in the program. Your signature also acknowledges that a criminal background check will be done for participation in the program.
- Completed applications are to be turned in or mailed to the Thurmont Police Department.
- Due to high volume of requests, participation is limited to two ride-a-longs per person within a calendar year.
- Participation in a ride-a-long is for a maximum of (5) five hours.
Get Signed Up
Please download, print and fill out the provided link to get signed up: